An extremely dedicated dog has continued to show its loyalty, keeping watch on its owner’s grave six years after he passed away.
Capitan, a German shepherd, reportedly ran away from home after its owner, Miguel Guzman, died in 2006. A week later, the Guzman family found the dog sitting by his grave in central Argentina.
Miguel Guzman adopted Capitan in 2005 as a gift for his teenage son, Damian. And for the past six years, Capitan has continued to stand guard at Miguel’s grave. The family says the dog rarely leaves the site.
“We searched for him, but he had vanished,” widow Veronica Guzman told LaVoz.com. “We thought he must have got run over and died.
‘The following Sunday we went to the cemetery, and Damian recognized his pet. Capitan came up to us, barking and wailing as if he were crying.”
Adding to the unusual circumstances, Veronica says the family never brought Capitan to the cemeterybefore he was discovered there.
“It is a mystery how he managed to find the place,” she said.
Cemetery director Hector Baccega says he and his staff have begun feeding and taking care of Capitan.
1. My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you acquire me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Place your trust in me. Remember that before you acquire me.
4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment. I only have you.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.
6. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that can easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
7. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I don’t understand what you ask of me or perhaps I am not feeling well, not getting the right food, been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
8. Take care of me when I get old, you too will grow old.
9. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say " I can’t bear to watch," or "let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier if you are there.
10. Remember, no matter what, that I love you. Unconditionally.
We found this little guy on the ground in our house, and we brought him up onto the table and tried to feed him with sugar water from the hummingbird feeder.
After a while, he woke up! Then he assumed this position for at least 10 minutes.